Chess or Easter celebrations

I had read this in parenting books a few years ago and still use the "choice" weapon to my advantage. The "choice" weapon is giving your child choices and making him feel independent, important and happy while he makes the choice. Of course, the choices you give him are all that you want him to do. If I were in the child's place, I might feel more like "Between a rock and a hard place" but as smart as a 8 year old's brain is, thankfully, they still fall for this one as was proven last weekend.
Me: Taran, Roshan, if you want we can play a chess tournament on Saturday.
Both (truly excited): Great! And what is the plan for Sunday?
Me: Well, we can play another chess tournament or go to the museum or celebrate Easter.
Roshan (who had no interest in playing chess on 2 consecutive days): Mom, I would really love to observe how Easter is celebrated and compare it to the way we just celebrated "Hanuman Jayanti" so I would love to go to the church.
Taran (ever so logical): Yes, we can go to museums whenever we want to. But I would love to go to a church for Easter service! It will be a great experience.
Me: Wise decision! I am so proud of you, T & R!
As much as it was pre-planned, the experience was truly memorable and I am glad we went to the church!

Comments