Hail Tiger Mom

The whole nation or at least moms have been talking about the controversial “Battle Hymn of The Tiger Mother” by Ms. Amy Chua, a second generation Chinese American (interestingly, it was only Ms.Chua's grandparents who lived in China; her parents were raised in the Philippines). I had read the article based on the book in WSJ and Time magazine, seen the CNN HLN program where she was interviewed by Joy Behar and had followed the almost vitriolic debate that followed it. But I ordered the book only when a very good friend of mine (who coincidentally and ironically happens to be Chinese) asked me to read it. This friend encourages her kids to enjoy all the activities that Ms. Chua prohibits. And I have no doubt in my mind that these kids will be accepted in Harvard, Yale, Princeton or any other Ivy League school. The contrasting views motivated me to read Ms. Chua’s book. One thing was already clear: I could not generalize “Chinese moms”.

The book was a quick and easy read. With all that I had heard about the book, I was expecting to read a very strict “How to parent” guide. But I was pleasantly surprised to read a self-deprecating (in parts), witty and honest memoir. Just as Ms. Chua has stated in many interviews, I am a bit surprised to notice the polarizing views this book has generated. But, on the other hand, I am not stunned either. Ms. Chua may seem extreme to many, yet there is a sizeable population that identifies with several of her parenting tenets such as “To get good at anything you have to work, and children on their own never want to work, which is why it is crucial to override their preferences” or “Not allowing kids to play computer games or watch TV”. The difference, however, is the degree or the extreme to which Ms. Chua may have adopted these tenets. For example, I know several parents who insist on taking their kids to Kumon, Karate or, in my case, Chess. There may be times when the kids would rather watch TV or play, instead of doing math, yet parents insist (and probably rightfully so) that the kids have to go for lessons or practice their “extra-curricular activity”. It is just that most parents may not insist that the kids practice for 3 hours every day. Likewise, I, for one, do not encourage my children to play video games or watch TV for an extended duration but they are allowed to watch sports on weekends, play the DSI on long drives and flights and occasionally at home. What may have caused the umbrage is her extreme style. But what seems to have been missed out completely by most people is her self-deprecating style of humor in this book as when she insisted that her children will not be allowed to become lazy especially “not on my watch” or when she decided to apply Chinese parenting to her dog.
A contributing factor to the wrath against her is her generalization about Western parents who she refers to as weak-willed. In the beginning of the book she did state that she was using the term “Western parents” loosely. But that statement gets quickly nullified by the several comments she makes against their parenting style. The reality is that parenting is very personal and therefore these broad over-generalizations that Western parents encourage mediocrity and tend to give up easily can be a source of indignation to most Western parents.

But Ms. Chua also stated that over a period of time she started questioning her own parenting style. And yet, she received death threats! I am not sure how many of her critics have actually read her book and if they have, I would like to state that ultimately Ms. Chua did point out “All decent parents want to do what's best for their children. The Chinese just have a totally different idea of how to do that.” So, please, cut Ms. Chua some slack. Or, go buy her book – at least for all the threats she has received, her book sales have sky-rocketed. Ms. Chua (Chuha means “rat” in Hindi – no offence intended), irrespective of your parenting style, for all your honesty, humor & candor, my vote goes to you. May this rat keep roaring & growling!

Comments

vohra35127 said…
Wow, Nidhi Bua! Amazing review! I don't personally agree with all that Ms. Chua (the rat relation was hilarious) has to say, but I completely understand what she was trying to do in being a good parent. I believe that you are an amazing parent, always providing the very best for Taran and Roshan, and it was a spectacular experience to read your review!
All my love,
Tasha Didi
Priya said…
Nicely done Nidhi!
Nidhi said…
Tasha & Priya, thanks for the kind words.
Qian Yang said…
Nidhi,

First, thank you for your nice words. You did a great job in reviewing the book. I could have never done it this well, hats off to you. How lucky I am that I can delegate the hard work to you and, one day, can bounce my thoughts off you. :-p A friend in need is a friend indeed ☺

It is very hard not to repeat what you have said, because you have caught the essence of the book precisely. Since I feel that I am obligated to contribute some in this discuss. Let me write some notes here that are a little off the topic.

As some parenting books say: you can’ give what you don’t have. What Ms. Chua tried to instill in her children is her strongest work ethic, which is manifested unquestionably with her productive career and tireless pursuing of a better life for all the living beings (including those two adorable dogs) around her. She tries her very best to play each role that she is assigned, so she didn’t fail in being a good role model.

One teenage girl told her mom (the mom is an educator that I admire, thinking-out-of-the box type, which apparently her daughter inherited or learned) that the reason that Chua’s kids listen to her mom is that she is young and pretty (clues: moms, spend some time on yourselves to keep young and pretty when busy parenting, because the side effect is that your kids will listen to you better.:-). How nice!)

Some of Ms. Chua’s interviews on her research (to be specific, her research on marketing dominant minority, partially referring to Chinese in Philippine) shed lights on the reason that she considered herself a Chinese mom, but not a Philippine mom.

What else? Let’s take it offline, because it can go on and on… By the way, I am reading “chess child” ;-)

A Chinese mom
Nidhi said…
Dear "Chinese Mom"/ "One mom of two",
Thanks for your kind words. You summed it aptly "you can't give what you don't have." No wonder my poor kids don't have a creative bone in their body :<( Darn the genes!
I will be interested in reading Ms. Chua's reasoning on why she considers herself a Chinese Mom (more from an educational standpoint). I will really appreciate if you can send me any links for the same. My email ID is nidhi_idnani@yahoo.com
Also do let me know what you think about "Chess Child". I have not read the book but my kids are quite inspired by Ray Robson.
I look forward to hearing from you.