Haiti and other disasters and their impact on kids

While watching CNN and BBC, the news commentator warned, “The images from Haiti that we are about to show are very graphic so please have you children step out of the room.” Indeed the pictures were graphic and disturbing. Yes, they exhibited reality. Images of piles of bodies caked with dust and blood being dumped in mass graves served the horrific jolts that the news media promised. But on the flip side I am not sure if the frequency with which they were shown was required. To me it also violated the respect we owe to anybody’s remains, irrespective of their country or religion. I am also very concerned about the impact of such pictures and news on children.


For the last several years I have noticed a surge of graphic images whether it was a natural disaster (Tsunami 2004, earthquake in China 2008) or an act of terror (Mumbai attacks 2008 or the several bombings in Pakistan). Every newspaper/ magazine has carried extensive articles and distressing pictures about these. And then there is YouTube and other websites that have heart wrenching videos and photographs that provide a bigger impact wherever and whenever you want it.


Things were different 25 years ago. I remember my childhood. My dad encouraged me and my brother to read the newspaper every day. For the most part newspapers had coverage of the government and its policies, the happenings in our nation and around the world. Pages were dedicated to business, sports, entertainment and of course the weather, but then that was largely a terror free world. Sure, natural disasters struck once in a while but the pictures were muted. Perhaps a picture of the site of an earthquake, walls broken, roof crashed on the floor, but not of human remains. Clearly, we grew up in a different world.

Don’t get me wrong. I read/watch the news everyday and totally understand and appreciate the value of the Internet. But I am perplexed when I have to explain these tragedies to my 5 year old twin boys. I do not encourage them to watch graphic images of such carnage but on the other hand I have always encouraged them to read the newspaper. In fact it is my son, Taran, who runs to the driveway every morning to get the newspaper and reads the headlines and the weather forecast to us. Over the years/ months, he and my son, Roshan, have asked me numerous questions about such events:

· Why did the earthquake strike Haiti/China?
· How many people died?
· What will happen to the houses that are broken?
· What will happen to children whose parents have died?
· Why did the bad guys kill so many people in Mumbai hotels?
· Why did they burn the hotels in Mumabi?
· Why do we have to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq?
· Why did the bad guys crash into the world trade center?
· Will God punish the bad guys?
· But how will God punish them….they are already dead?

Clearly, their questions indicate to me that they not only see the violence and carnage, they feel it as well. How do we explain such events to children without affecting their sensibilities? How do we make sure that the fear of unforeseeable circumstances, whether a natural or man made disaster, does not occupy a place in their heart and erode their confidence? Sure, we strive to give our kids the love, affection, sense of security and strength that most families give their children, but is that enough?

I don’t have the answers to these questions. Do you?

To donate to Haiti follow the link:

http://www.redcross.org/

Images above are courtesy Huffington Post and BBC

Comments

Donna said…
This is a very thought-provoking post and you bring up good questions here. I have an almost 5-year-old son, and he's still pretty oblivious to big events such as the earthquake in Haiti. When I do discuss such matters with him, which I will do more and more as he gets older, I think I'll try to tailor it to his maturity level. We don't usually watch the news when he's around, so I'm not too worried yet about those images. Sometimes I have to shield the computer screen when he's in the room. I agree, the pictures seem to be overly graphic and inappropriate at times.

Thanks for visiting my blog a few days ago. I like yours and I'll be back! :)
OCDM said…
Its a thought that has crossed every parents mind a multitude of times.We like to have our kids believe in Santa for as long as possible just because we want them to believe that Magic exists.But someday, they will turn around and question it.
In the same way, I am of the opinion that for younger kids, if need be, in the course of conversation, we can let them know the realities of life, without dwelling on it.
Most kids will face some vagaries of life: loss of a dear one, loss of a parents job, a home. Different kids will react differently.How much to divulge, its a parents call.
I want to keep my kids shielded but at the same time, I do not want to keep them in a Utopian fantasy.
I explained Haiti briefly to my kids with a reassurance that we do not live in an earthquake prone zone. But if we did, I would have told them that its a rare possibility and so we should be prepared with our emergency plan.
If they happen to come across a disturbing news item, its best to explain it sketchily and divert.
I am sure the media goes overboard in most of their depictions, but while it helps them sell more, it does have a small positive impact somewhere in inspiring people to feel the pain and help/volunteer /donate. In this internet age, too much information is unavoidable but maybe filterable with parental controls on tv, computers and phones. If you can't win it, work around it;)
Rohini said…
I find the newspapers (mostly) more responsible with the images they use. Television news I think should come with A rating, or at the very least PG-13...