Our New Year Resolutions

A 2007 study involving 3,000 people showed that 88% of those who set New Year resolutions fail. Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, (a system where small measurable goals are being set; such as, a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends. Since peer-support makes a difference in success rate with New Year’s resolutions, I decided to share our resolution with you.

A few days ago I asked Ritesh what his New Year resolution was. After a long silence (and a look that meant “Do I really have to answer this?”), he responded “Spending quality time with you and the kids.”Needless to say, I was utterly pleased to hear that notwithstanding the fact that he spoke one sentence in a 15 minute drive when it was just the two of us in the car and when he was asked a question and he didn’t really have a choice but to answer it. Irrespective of that, I totally endorsed his plan since he planned to make a new beginning in the New Year.

My instant response was “So what’s your action plan to achieve your goal?” His response was a quizzical look! Only after we reached our destination did he respond, “I will be more involved.” OOOOOH! The pearls of wisdom had finally been uttered! Of course, I am not the kinds to let go of such moments that deserve celebration apart from the fact that I am a very supportive wife. So I promised him that I would help him achieve his goal. That evening, when the kids needed help with their homework, despite protest from the boys I directed them to their dad who was busy on his iPad at the moment. And then when the boys wanted help in analyzing their chess game, I, dutifully guided them back to their dad who was lying horizontal on the sofa watching a game of football. This time the kids were the one who gave me the “What?! Dad?! Really?!?! look. By this time, Ritesh, a man of few words, looked completely helpless but I remained steadfast in my support to his cause and gently suggested that one way to demonstrate involvement in the family would be for him to load the dishwasher. For good measure I even pointed out towards the dishwasher lest he gives me the excuse “I don’t know where the dishwasher is!”
Soon it was time for story-telling and to put the kids to bed but before I could utter a word Ritesh had that “Come on! You don’t have to take my resolution that seriously” look, so I took Taran and Roshan to bed and told them a story. Fortunately, for all of Ritesh’s reticence and reserve, I can talk for the both of us!

And this brings us back to the first point stated in this post - “88% of those who set New Year resolutions fail” and women succeeded 10% more when they made their goal public. So this one’s to you Ritesh - I intend to celebrate your New Year Resolution with a glass of wine, a whole lot of loquaciousness, and by making your goal public. May you spend QUALITY time with us!
P.S: In line with the norms of full disclosure this post has been published with Ritesh's complete approval and he was not subjected to any duress.

Comments