Obama's speech - collateral damage and loss of vote bank?!

This morning President Obama announced proposals to place new limits on the size and activities of big banks. I was glued to the television while I watched the President reprimand the banks but I did not expect that his speech would have an impact on my family. Read below to know more about it.

Roshan: Ewww! What is this black black in the "Matar paneer" (peas and cottage chees)?

Me: Umm! They are onions. Sorry, they got a little burnt.

Roshan (sermonizing...or rather giving it back to me): Weren't you focussing?

Me: Well, I was watching President Obama's speech while cooking.

Ritesh (smiling): And the first collateral damage was the "matar paneer."

Me (taking it in my stride): Actually, it was the second. The first was the market.

Roshan: What did he say?

Me: Well, let me put up the link for you. (At this moment we watched the speech and I explained it to the boys as well as I could)

Taran (who was trying to process it all): Didn't you vote for Obama because he did not want to fight in Iraq? And didn't he say we should use our words and not fight with Iran?

Me: Yes, you are right.

Taran: And didn't he get the peace prize? What is it called....Nobel?

Ritesh and me (in splits): That's correct. He got the Nobel Peace Prize.

Taran (completely baffled): And didn't he like peaceful men like Martin Luther King?

Ritesh and I (rolling on the floor with laughter....much to Taran's chagrin): Absolutely correct.

Taran (with an incredulous look): And look, now he wants to fight with his own countrymen....with the banks!!! You might as well would have voted for John McCain!!!



P.S: Read/Watch President Obama's speech at http://www.cnbc.com/id/34975288

Comments

Sarah Laurence said…
How funny! The onions burned for a good cause. I love how children spot the contradictions of politics. Still, I don’t regret voting for Obama. It was a sticky situation to inherit. So nice to connect with you!
Nidhi said…
Sarah, you are right. A child's lens only sees black and/or white. But I echo your thoughts on Obama. My vote still goes to him.
Ann Marie said…
Hi Nidhi!

Thank you for stopping by and saying Hi! It is much appreciated!! I love to meet new friends! :)

Your home is lovely.. looks very cozy.. and your children are adorable! -- They are also very wise! :) The things that they think about.. and come to their minds are adorable!

I love that you are home too! SAHM unite! ha-ha.. not but seriously.. it's so nice to blog so we can all learn, grow and understand that we are not alone right?

Hope you have a happy weekend! :)

I'm VERY conservative.. so my thoughts on the President I will keep to myself. *wink*
Nidhi said…
Ann Marie,
Thanks so much for generous words. I feel the same when I visit your blog.
But truly it is nice to know other SAHMs. As I always say, out of all the jobs I have done (before having kids and after) parenting is one job I am most proud of.
and BTW, Good luck with the bathroom remodelling.