Modern Ramayana

Circa August 2009
Taran: Maa, can you please read the "Hanuman Chalisa" to us?
Me: Sure. (I read it to them)
Taran: Can you please translate all that you read?
(Happy to see Taran's interest, I gave the translation a sincere shot).
Taran: Now can you please read "Hanuman ji's aarti"?
Me: I certainly will (and I sang the same).
Taran: Maa what means "Jo Hanuman ji ki aarti gaaye, basi baikunth param pad paaye"?
Me: It means that whoever sings this "aarti", will go to heaven and live with the Gods.
Taran (with immediate concern): Maa, what will happen to Morgan, John, Max and Liana? They don't even know about Hanumanji!
Me (trying to bring him succor and also seizing the opportinity for sermonizing.... I can't leave that, can I?!): That is ok. They worship Jesus Christ who is also a God. But what is important is that we all lead good lives. We should not hurt anyone or be rude. We should always show respect, love and affection and help everyone.
Meanwhile, Roshan, who was a silent spectator to this conversation, had a twinkle in his eyes. The moment I saw that, and dreading that it may have been the calm before he storm, I ventured into choppy waters: Yes, Roshan.
Roshan: Maa, why did Ramachandraji have to do all this fighting?
Me: Because Sita maa was his wife and he wanted her back.
Roshan: That's ok. If Ravan took his wife, he could have just taken Ravan's wife. It would have been a swap and there was no need to do so much fighting over wives!!!!!

Comments