The best man speech at Sachin's wedding that I could not give

Hello everyone,

My name is Nidhi Idnani and I am Sachin's cousin. Since everyone seems to be stoned here, I have taken upon myself the duty to give the Best Man speech (yeah, I know sisters are not traditionally the ones who are given this honor, but then I have known Sachin so closely that I am certain I shall fulfill this responsibility).

Sachin and I have almost grown up together, and in some ways I have been a quasi mother to him. I have watched him crawl, I have fed him, cleaned up after him just like I did last night when he was pissed drunk and hopping like a kangaroo in his Armani suit, showing off his engagement ring and singing, "I am taken, I am taken. The 59th one finally said YES." and the following minute passed out (possibly worrying about what Shilpa was getting into).


Shilpa, I welcome you to our crazy family. You look stunning! I know you are trying not to show it but we understand what is truly going in your heart - that wedlock sounds like deadlock! So if there is anyone in this room who seems nervous - my heartfelt sympathies to you and yes, I mean Mahar uncle, aunty and Rohit (Shilpa's parents and brother). After all, it takes courage to get your beautiful, smart, intelligent daughter married to Sachin. We all know that all that thing of not losing out a daughter and gaining a son-in-law does not quite add up in the equation. But trust me, I will give her all the warmth and affection that Lalita Pawar and Shashikala gave their daughters-in-law and sisters-in-law in the Bollywood 50s and 60s movies. As regards Sachin, there are tears in his eyes - tears of joy - that he does not have to do his laundry any more.

Typically, at this point of the best Man speech, the speaker traditionally meanders into different stories about the groom in various compromising situations involving the usual vices of binging, boozing and womanizing. How ever, tonight I will do no such thing for I do not wish to implicate myself (only in the boozing part), and his dear friend, Manohar, in any of these sordid allegations of the said debauchery.

People who know me, know very well that I love my brother very much and our family is very proud of his accomplishments this far in life. There isn't nothing I would not do for him and likewise there is nothing he would not do for me; in fact we've spent most of our time doing nothing for each other. But today, I do wish him the very best. So, ladies and gentlemen, here is a toast to the newly wed couple, Sachin and Shilpa. I wish you peace, health and eternal happiness.

Comments

Priya said…
I am so looking forward to congratulating him & Shilpa in person.... when I am sufficiently intoxicated (I will have to pretend) and dancing on It's Rocking...
Anandi said…
Awesome Swwetheart!!!
Even is Shilpa felt remotely secure, you've assured her of the deadlock she's got herself into..More when I attend the party and "kaan bharo" a bit more:))
LOL
Pooja said…
The million $ question here is - how sober was the best man, umm, sister.

Shilpa, surely you're taking all those drunken tales with bags of salt. Anyways, fikar not, cuz Sachin is a real sweetheart... or, so we're led to believe ;)
Suhana Arora said…
hmmm...curiosity on the "stories about the groom in various compromising situations involving the usual vices of binging, boozing and womanizing" aside...Nidhi di...a mention on ur blog (a space that I've frequented for a while now and trust me it has a rapidly increasing fanclub on the Arora side of the family post your Nov08 visit to India :-) makes me feel very priviliged indeed...:-)

And who knows,going by the contents,maybe someday this blog will get converted into a book and get public and critical acclaim...and I will brag that I have a entire date and page dedicated to me in there:-)

And yeah, Mr.Sachin Arora may have metamorphosed into a sweetheart now (or so I am told;-) but I'll be all ears to the "Confessions of a Quasi Mom" when we meet on the 7th :-)I'm sure there is a lot that has gone into making Sachin the 'rangeela' mr.arora that he is today:-)
Unknown said…
Very well said!!!I must agree with u Shilpa is stunning.Hoping to meet her soon.Well Shilpa "rangeela"pan runs in the family!!!