My Avon walk - an update

Once again, I am back with an update about my progress in my training for the Avon walk for breast cancer. I will be walking on October 4th and 5th. I have a choice of covering the distance of a marathon i.e. 26.2 miles or a marathon and a half i.e. 39.3 miles. This has been the biggest physical undertaking I have attempted and there has been no doubt in mind as to how challenging it has been for me. The constantly screaming muscles (especially my hamstrings – OUCH!) are a testimony to that :>) But this is for a cause I believe in and a constant reminder that with every step I take, we come closer to eradicating this devastating disease.

Many of you have supported me in several ways along this beautiful journey. A few of my friends, Aditi, Pooja and Priya, have walked with me while I trained. I always look forward to walking with them as that makes my training so much fun. My family – parents, Ritesh and my children have been very supportive of my walk. My parents particularly, have been a tremendous pillar of strength. They have patiently taken care of Taran and Roshan while I have been training, giving them a horseback ride or playing scrabble with them.

I started training towards the end of April. I started off with a 4 mile walk and have gradually built up to an 18 mile walk in a single day which I managed recently. I have also completed a training walk of 26.2 miles over a period of 2 days. A constant companion on my walks has been my iPod. And a huge thanks to my friend, Priya, for downloading songs on my iPod and giving me the much needed boost. Whether it is my all time favorite, Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's “Somewhere over the rainbow” or Atif Aslam’s mind-blowing “Pehli Nazar Mein”, music has definitely added a beautiful dimension to my walk.

I have also been very happy with the amount I have been able to raise so far. A big thanks to those of you who contributed. While in the vast scheme of things, it may look miniscule, but I am certain it will help others who remain hopeful for a cure. I have crossed my goal of $1800 but those of you who still wish to contribute, please donate towards the fundraising goal of my friend, Shruti who is flying all the way from Atlanta to walk with me. She and I are walking as a team and we both need to reach our individual goals of $1800. Please click on the link below to support the cause. Remember that anything you give will make a difference in fighting this dreadful disease because everyone deserves a lifetime.

Support my friend, Shruti in our Avon walk for breast cancer. Visit her homepage at:
http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk2008/NewYork?px=3922434&pg=personal&fr_id=1660

Comments

Pooja said…
Getting this far is a huge achievement. While the rest might not be cakewalk either, at least the checkered flag is in sight.

Good luck, girl. YOU SO ROCK!
Priya said…
You ROCK! For me, you already are a champion and an inspiration!