An alternative source of energy - "Straight from the butt"

Warning: Please be advised that the nature of this post is rather descriptive. Anyone whose sensibilities get affected quickly should avoid this post.

As long as I remember, I have been drilling into Taran and Roshan’s minds the importance of waste minimization and management, energy conservation, pollution prevention, climate change etc. I have a vivid recollection of holding them in my arms when they were infants and while turning off the lights talking to them about conserving electricity. Each time they bobbed their heads as any infant would, I would assure myself that this was an indication that they comprehended my monologue. I am pretty relentless in my quest to educating my kids so I grabbed every opportunity that came my way to instill these values in them, whether it was taking them to an “Earth Day” event (check link http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080428/NEWS/804280337) to discuss recycling or taking them to the library for a “Save the Earth” event where they learnt the “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle too” song. Hence, it was gratifying to observe, when inside a restroom at Borders, Taran was most concerned about the toilet paper that was strewn on the floor and such was the concern he felt about the environment, he proceeded to report the same to a store executive, “There is so much toilet paper wasted in the restroom. Now someone will have to cut more trees to get paper. So, please can you tell everyone not to waste paper?” Likewise, two years ago (when Taran and Roshan were 2), I distinctly remember making “pretend” phone calls to the LIE (Long Island Expressway) authorities as the boys observed some streetlights turned on even though it was bright and sunny. (Incidentally, these “pretend” phone calls continue till date.) On the very next day, they observed a streetlight turned on right outside their school. On realizing that their class teachers could not have it turned off despite their repeated appeals, they decided to take the matter in their hand and dictated a letter to their teacher to mail it to the Bridgewater municipal authorities. When I went to pick them up that afternoon, I was handed a copy of that letter by their unusually jaded teacher. And yet again, lately they have been insistent that I use their artwork as bookmarks so that it can be “reused”. These incidents had assured me that my efforts to raise environmentally aware kids had borne fruit but never could I have imagined that their passion for “saving the Earth” was so strong that they could “discover” an alternate source of energy!!!
Today, we enjoyed a sumptuous lunch of “rajma” (red kidney beans), “chana” salad (chick pea salad) and beans. While my mom is a terrific cook, the triple combo of beans, beans and beans created a teeny weenie havoc in our stomachs, as a result of which, we all seemed to be engaged in a farting competition :<( One of these farts was a rather long-winding and audible one which caused Roshan and Taran’s eyes to pop and jaws to drop.
Roshan: What was that?
Me: Someone passed gas.
Roshan: OH! Can we fill it up in the Honda?!?!

Now, now, if only this would come true, we would all be standing with our butts facing the gas tank and in the process saving a mini fortune that we have been spending on gas lately. Gosh! I never knew I gave birth to a scientist!

Comments

Shubham Mehrish said…
That's a brilliant idea! Now you know what we will be having for lunch and dinner tomorrow!
Nidhi said…
Good but let me warn you that the result of such a lunch could be rather "gaseous" ie. it may have the ability to expand greatly and diffuse readily so keep the nozzle of the gas tank open and ready. And trust me, I am not "gassing".
Pooja said…
Lol, v funny. But a truly ingenuous idea too. (I guess all that protein in the beans doesn't hurt either.)
Sachin Arora said…
Hahahaha!!! The boys are living up to their "Nanihaal". I still crack up every time I think abt the story..Wonder(read fear) what's next!!! Putting other human secretions to use..
Sandhya said…
Huh, I was just wondering where this elaborate story is taking us! Then told myself, this is not a story but a blog. Lo, the twist in the tale came in the end! Hilarious, indeed! Good.

I came to you via 'Chupke Chupke'. Good!
Suhana Arora said…
hahahahaha...ur kids leave me wonderin..."if this is how evolved they are at this age,what r they gonna be like when they're grown up n all " :-)kudos to u though...think u should write another book/series-on parenting...(PS: When I read your blog about how you're trying to instil all the good things in ur boys...i almost feel guilty using slang/short SMS like words when i write to you...infact,though you see the random 'u' instead of 'you' and the 'gonna' instead of 'going to'...there are quite a few places where i'v actually rewritten to incorporate full words instead of short forms :-)hehe... boy...i'm waiting for the day (n secretly partially dreading - did i tell ya sometimes i get these visions of almost runnin around your place all ragged by ur kiddos-n they chuckling at it ;-)) when i get to 'saakshaat' meet the two of em :-)think it will be a day to mark on my calender:-)
Nidhi said…
Shilpa, Pls don't pull my leg :>) Trust me, they are coming around. The other day I showed a letter to Sulabh which was dictateds to me by taran where he asked me to write that you are part of the family! YEAH! When you are here, you might just be giving Sachin a run for his money ;)
Unknown said…
as intelligent as their mama....