Of Trials, Tribulations and Training
(Posted on my Avon walk for breast cancer web page on Thu, May 01, 2008 @ 11:10 PM )

Training begins in earnest! If you are thinking "WALK?!?! 39.3 miles!!! this girl ????" then, I am definitely with you.(If you are not thinking that, look at the photo and you will) It is definitely a Herculean task. And trust me, for someone who has not walked a total of 39 miles in her life, it required a lot of physical/mental strength and motivation just to sign up for this. But if there is one thing I do not lack, it is determination especially when it comes to helping out in this dreaded disease - CANCER. As many of you know, I have seen this closely. My father is a cancer survivor, two uncles fought bravely but could not make it, a good friend's mother is a breast cancer survivor and now, a very close friend's husband is trying to fight it off (and I sure hope he wins this battle).
So, when an opportunity came in the guise of walking for breast cancer, I sure took it up. I also derive inspiration from some friends who have run the marathon and some who swim 10 miles at a stretch and cycle 20 miles at a stretch (I bow my head in reverence to them). If they can do it (and return to run the following year), I can, at least walk. I am certain it will be an experience that will test my endurance but I am positive that my faith will help me through this journey.
I started training earlier this week (April 28th 2008) and I have reached the recommended goal of 14 miles for this week. Sure enough, my muscles are screaming, after all I had not stepped into the gym for the last 3 months. But, with every step I took, I felt there was a hope that someone somewhere in the world may not need to experience this horrific disease the way the less fortunate have. With every step I took, I felt there was a hope that at least there will be one less person who gets to know (the way I did 4 years ago) that their parent is suffering from cancer.
I am so glad I took the opportunity to dramatically impact the lives of millions affected by breast cancer worldwide. And I sincerely hope that you will support me in my endeavor. Just remember, your support can make a difference to the lives of not only those men and women who are affected by this disease, but their loved ones too.
So long!

Support me in my Avon walk for breast cancer by visiting my homepage and donating towards the cause:
http://info.avonfoundation.org/site/TR/Walk2008/NewYork?px=3864907&pg=personal&fr_id=1660&et=pLyyEexIUoHiqyFurenZ6Q..&s_tafId=323782

Comments

Pooja said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pooja said…
It takes courage to embark on something of this magnitude. And sheer grit to last the course. Keep at it!