History discussions leave me for dead


If anyone knows me even remotely, they know how much I relish spending time with my two chimps and doing all kinds of fun activities wih them. So, in an effort to do some cool stuff (my idea, as you will soon find) with them, I made a presentation for them to take to school and talk about in their "circle time". The topic was "Our trip to India". The presentation had about 10 slides, with a picture and a caption in each slide. The project was supposed to be a group effort but midway into the presentation, I found myself working furiously at the laptop while I heard some real high-pitched noises "Goal", "Good shot", coming from the foyer. Yes, Taran and Roshan were busy playing soccer while I was working on their project!!! Not a good omen, I say!!! But I am quite thick-skinned, so I brushed away the initial exasperation I felt and praised one of the pictures we had taken of the boys during our trip. Vain as they are, they rushed to admire themselves on the screen. When I had their undivided attention, I started talking about each picture on the powerpoint. Now, since they both like to listen to stories, they were eager to know about the Mughal emperors. They found the discussion quite fascinating especially when I explained that Sikandra is Akbar's mausoleum and Taj Mahal is Mumtaz Mahal and Shah Jahan's mausoleum. And then came a moment that is so characteristic of any 3 to 4 year old- "Mummy", Roshan asked innocently, "So many people are dead. When are you going to die?!?!"

Comments